Pet Safety & Vaping
Pet Safety and Vaping
If you’re anything like me then your pets are a loved family member and their safety is a priority for you. While vaping is much safer for us than smoking, we do need to keep in mind vaping and pet safety. But not just being around the vapour but having access to power cords, batteries and e-juice with nicotine in it.
A few years ago a staffy in Brittan was the first dog to die from accidentally consuming nicotine based e-liquid. But dogs aren’t the only animals we need to consider when it comes to pet safety. Cats are also affected by consuming e-juice, not just from nicotine but they are attracted to VG and because PG is also in e-juice, it is believed not to be safe for cats.
Recognise nicotine poisoning in your pets.
If your pet does somehow gain access to your stash, you can assess if your pet requires medical attention if you think your pet has ingested nicotine. Look for the following signs and seek immediate veterinary care.
- Gums or tongue appear blue, purple, white, extremely red or brick coloured
- High heart rate
- High temperature and panting
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Loss of appetite
- Blood in their poo
- Nose bleeds
Battery poisoning in dogs.
Symptoms of Battery Poisoning in Dogs Some of the symptoms of battery poisoning occur immediately upon ingestion. Other symptoms may not be apparent for several hours. Ulcers that are seen shortly after contact with the alkaline materials may continue to worsen over the next twelve hours or so as the tissues soften due to a process called liquefaction necrosis.
- Abdominal pain
- Black, tarry poop
- Difficulty swallowing
- Excessive drooling
- Fever or hyperthermia
- Lack of appetite
- Mouth pain
- Ulcers in the mouth or on the tongue
Types There are several types of battery that can cause symptoms if punctured or ingested. The most common types of battery that dogs get into are batteries that most people have around the house.
Cylindrical – This battery is probably the most common battery we think of and the most common one for a dog to be able to chew. Some cylindrical batteries employ alkaline and carbon zinc materials while others are the lithium variety. The burns from lithium batteries can be particularly severe, but the alkaline batteries are more likely to be damaged by stomach acid, possibly leading to heavy metal poisoning.
Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/condition/battery-poisoning
While you can enjoy your pets and vaping at the same time make sure you are in a well ventilated area and keep your mods, juices and batteries securely away from pet access.
Check out our other blogs to learn more about vaping: https://stickylips.com.au/vape-life/